Follow by Email

#Author #Interview Rosanna Leo

,

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?  I realized how influenced I was by the written word when I was twelve years old.  That year, I read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.  And tried several times, quite unsuccessfully, to get into Narnia through my bedroom closet.  Since then, I’ve been tinkering with writing, but have been doing it seriously for the last ten years.

Where do you get your information or ideas for your books?  Great question!  Being someone who is obsessed with anything paranormal, much of my inspiration comes from that world.  Currently, I am all about Greek gods, and there are so many ideas right there in the fabulous Greek myths.  I take a myth that I like, imagine what might have happened since, and go from there!


What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your book?  I was so pleasantly surprised at how much input my publisher asked for regarding cover art ideas.  Liquid Silver has a wonderful arts department, and still asked me what I’d like to see on my covers.  I gave them my vision, never dreaming that they’d use it, and they did!  When I saw the finished product, it was like seeing my baby being born!  I love the covers they did for me.  I may be biased, but I’m pretty sure they’re better than the Sistine Chapel and the statue of David!J

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?  I have five completed novels under my belt, two of those about to be published with Liquid Silver.  For the Love of a God will be released April 23, and Up in Flames will be released May 28.  Aside from these, I have at least ten novellas that I’ve written.  Everything from historical romance to vampires to regency naughtiness!

Where are you from?  Toronto, Canada…home of the CN Tower, the Hockey Hall of Fame and the best street meat in the world!

What inspired you to write your first book?  The first (unpublished) novel I ever wrote was a meandering historical/love story/ghost story.  It was inspired by a trip to London, England and a visit to Kensington Palace.  There, I saw a beautiful portrait of a gorgeous nobleman from the Regency era.  I couldn’t stop thinking of that portrait and the enigmatic man!  I began my first novel after getting home from that trip.  The novel began with a woman visiting a country estate, and falling for a portrait of a man who’d been dead for two hundred years…or was he dead at all?

Do you have a specific writing style?  I would say my writing style is pretty contemporary, with a definite mocking, self-deprecating humor.  I love heroines who aren’t perfect, even geeky, and who aren’t afraid to admit it.  As much as I love romance and eroticism, for me there has to be humor too.  My writing reflects that.

What book are you reading now?  I’m reading Lauren Kate’s “Fallen” series.  I love the doomed relationship between the heroine and her angel hero.  Even though it’s a young adult book, I find it so evocative and sensual.  And I love the idea of seducing an angel! J

Can you share a little of your current work with us?  Absolutely!  For the Love of a God is set in a museum in Toronto.  The female protagonist Maia is a conservator of Grecian statuary and self-confessed museum geek.  She pines over a seductive statue of the Greek god Eryx, god of love.  What Maia does not know is that Eryx exists, and is about to become her new boss at the museum.  For his part, Eryx is determined to avoid all women because of an ancient curse that has doomed any woman he’s tried to love.  However, when he sees the awkward, yet curvaceous Maia, he finds it hard to resist her charms. 

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?  I don’t wish to sound egotistical, but I don’t think I could change anything.  One becomes so attached to one’s characters.  I’ve grown to love Eryx and Maia and their tempestuous relationship and how it blossoms into a real love.  I think if I could change anything, it would be to have the chance to live with this story a little longer.  I hate putting my peeps away!  And yet, I’m so excited to release them into the world at the same time.

What are your current projects?  I am currently finishing up a novel which takes off from where For the Love of a God ends.  However, in this case, my hero is now the god Dionysus, the randy Greek god of wine.  He’s about to embark on a journey to the underworld, and find true love in the process.  I am also about to start a new WIP about the sexy god Apollo.  I love me some Greek gods!

Do you have any advice for other writers?  Be flexible!  I learned such important skills in the editing and submission process.  Your publisher wants to see you succeed.  One must be open to criticism and suggestion, as hard as it can sometimes be.  Remember, feedback is a gift. J

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?  Just that I really hope you love For the Love of a God as much as I loved writing it.  I hope I can lure you away from your world for a while, and into my world.  I think you’ll like it there.


0 comments:

Post a Comment